Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

I Interview Brian Stokes Mitchell

So I've been interning this semester at the "Post-Standard" in Syracuse, a decision which spawned from two factors:

1) "Playbill" did not respond back to me on an internship
2) I need to save money so I can move to New York City after graduation

So here I am, getting accustomed to the daily grind of news, which had me working on an article before my first official day at the office and as of now, I've had two stories filed and two stories in the process.

This past Thursday, on the first day of the new lunar year (Happy Year of the Cat), I received a pleasant surprise when I came into the office and there, on the front page of the culture section, was the first article I had written for the "Post-Standard."

And it was just not any article, it was one where I interviewed Broadway leading man Brian Stokes Mitchell, that baritone who, whenever he sings, causes all women (and gay men) in the immediate vicinity to melt into puddles of hormones.

One of my friends said it's prophetic, an indication that this is going to be a good year for me. I don't know, I'll just take it as it comes and enjoy the bylines as long as they flow in continuously. For now, I'm still smiling and singing in my head. And yes, his speaking voice is just as deep and dreamy as his singing voice.

"Broadway actor and singer Brian Stokes Mitchell considers himself a “California boy.” After all, he started his career there. But Stokes defies the California stereotype in one key respect: He likes snow.

The likelihood of lake-effect snow makes him all the more excited about performing in Syracuse.

“Syracuse in the winter — what can be better?” he says, without a hint of sarcasm." - Diep Tran, The Post-Standard

Why is seeing your byline in print so infinitely more satisfying than seeing it online?

No comments:

Post a Comment