Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

New York City: the Land of Free Goods

So here is a problem: a narrow doorway into a two-bedroom apartment, a too-wide couch, and three 20-something girls. What do you do?

Well, with some advice by a very nice neighbor, we took the door off the hinges (with only a pink screwdriver) and pushed the couch in. I imagine giving birth to be something of the same concept.

The best thing: the couch was free, and very comfortable (plush suede). And it's not only the couch, and orchid pot, that were free.


My roomie Samantha, a fellow writer, and I also went to the Good Morning America concert last Friday (every Friday during the summer, Good Morning America and the Today Show have concerts that they tape live). The artist that drizzly morning was Florence + the Machine. Who took us on a cosmic journey.

Florence Welsh and her ethereal dress
And next Thursday, we're going to try and get to the free Latin dance classes on the High Line, a promenade (constructed from the old NYC railroads) that stretches from the Meatpacking District to Chelsea.

So New York City? Expensive, yes. But with a little resourcefulness, free things (especially in the summer) are aplenty.

Another thing that was free, the show that I just reviewed for Time Out New York.

And here's the GMA performance that I was in the audience for (I was standing left and to the front).

2 comments:

  1. The couch is very pretty! And I like the flowers.

    By the way, I've started up a new blog and you should subscribe to it. Plus, I've only written two posts so far and you've already gotten a shout-out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, probably should give you the link: http://allisoneatsinct.blogspot.com/

    It's a foodie blog, no surprise there...

    ReplyDelete