Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Burn-Out, Baby, Burn-Out!

School resumed again this week. And I've been, predictably, tired. After all, Spring Break screwed up my sleeping schedule.

Yet was it really Spring Break? Then how does it explain my generally lethargic attitude? I have work I need to do, projects to turn in, deadline to meet. But instead of bucking up and losing myself, even rejoicing in the work, I'm dragging myself to my computer and to the books.

I've hardly even wanted to write in this blog.

Burn-out. Also known as senoritas. Also known as being generally lazy.

It's general weariness about everything you're doing. It's exactly what the name entails, you're running on empty, there is no fire and no fuel, sooner or later, you either recharge yourself or die off.

I realized today that I haven't had a real, let's not worry about work, deadline, sit around the house-and-do-nothing break since last year, in that week between graduation from undergrad and moving across the country to Syracuse for post-grad. It's been steady working

In the words of Bilbo Baggins, "I need a holiday, I very long holiday."

My editor at the "Post-Standard," said I didn't sound like my normal, happy self. That I was "too quiet." I'm moving slowly along, getting my stories and assignment finished, maybe not with my usual aplomb, but finished.

For now, that needs to be enough, until I find that fire again. Or it finds me.

1 comment:

  1. this is Allison, btw...

    Diep, I know exactly how you feel...I graduate in one month but there's about a year's worth of work to do in that one month! Keep it up though and we'll go wine tasting again!!

    ReplyDelete