Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Still Reeling


I was standing next to Bill Murray. Bill Murray was next to me.

If I reached over, I could shake his hand, or snap a really clear close-up photo.

I was in the aisle of a movie theater. It was the world premiere of "Passion Play," starring Mickey Rourke, Megan Fox and Bill Murray. The film had been in development hell for 20 years. That probably should have perked up my ears as to the problematic nature of the movie, but that's another blog post.

This past weekend alone, I saw enough celebrities to fill a small room and saw enough movies that I might take today to avoid moving pictures for a day. But then I would not be able to catch up on the "True Blood" finale so we might see how long this self-imposed moratorium will last.

The Goldring program sent the 15 arts journalism students to the Toronto Film Festival this past weekend. For us, it was all free; transportation, lodging, and as many movies as you can fit into your schedule in three days. I had about 8-10 hours of sleep total, cups upon cups of caffeine, and wolfed down as much food as I can between screenings. But I did it, I watched 8 films, 7 were world premiere screenings with q&a sessions after, 5 were red carpet events.

While in line for the films with my other arts journalism compatriots, two girls in our program, Leah and Samantha, came up, excitement and glee written all over their faces. They were both smiling madly. "We just saw Ellen Page and Liv Tyler on the red carpet!" Leah said. "Liv Tyler's so beautiful in real life." And these were arts journalist. If anybody should be poised, it should be us.

I was next to a journalist from "The Globe" and we were watching James Franco on the red carpet. "He looks good," I said.

"Yes he does," she agreed.

What is it about celebrities? Why do they entrance us so? Having lived in Los Angeles, the celebrity zoo of America, I amazingly enough, have not been able to see that many celebrities in person. Unless you count that photo I took with Mark Salling (Puck from "Glee") at a bar. And it's so strange how many squeals I receive from women when I tell them that.

There is something about celebrities and seeing one that makes you want to take a photo, no matter how small or blurry they are in that photo. It should not be a point of pride but somehow, it becomes one of those moments you remember clearly in your head. And it's with someone who, technically, is a stranger to you.

And when you see them in person, you realize that everyone looks normal and unassuming, they make jokes, curse, and are not afraid to make complete idiots of themselves. Physically, they're built the same way and when they speak, what they say to a large auditorium filled with people is normally not very interesting.

Ellen Page in person is slightly stand-offish and prone to "um's." Then again, it could be the pressure and stage fright. Which if that's the case, it only makes them more human.

But still, there is a sense of something grand when are in the same room with a celebrity. Almost like the space is suddenly more important, the occasion is more momentous. And you become a little bit more important.

Now back to Bill Murray, that multi-faceted genius. I was next to him. He was looking ahead. Time seemed to slow down, like they do in the movies and that slow whooshing sound happens when the sound gets sucked out and everyone becomes a mumble.

Suddenly, his filmography zipped through my head. "Groundhog Day," "Lost in Translation," "Life Aquatic with Steve Zizou," "Zombieland."

"Say something!" my brain said.

"You were amazing in 'Lost in Translation'?"

"Like the man hasn't heard that so many times. Hurry up! You're walking away!"

"....."

And then the moment ended. I need to get better at this talking to celebrities thing. Then again, what can you say that they haven't already head many many times already?

No comments:

Post a Comment