Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Boot Camp Retrospective

So it's the end of the Newhouse "Boot Camp," what was called by many as 6 weeks of tortured hell, of late nights, early mornings, deadlines galore, and general brain-dead moments starring at the computer screen.

Though I cannot say that I didn't enjoy the experience, it was an educational introduction into the upcoming year, one that will include multiple deadlines, AP stylebook issues, drafts upon drafts, and waiting for people to respond to your phone calls.

Not to mention the hours upon hours spend in front of my computer reading the daily news, writing, or learning how to use Final Cut or Audacity (two more things to add to my resume). As my father says, "everything is a learning experience" and if I look at that in that way, then Boot Camp was a valuable experience.

Looking at it any other day opens you up to cynicism and the thought that this was all a useless experience because, as an arts journalist, I will likely never cover a bomb scare, shooting, or car crash. Unless someone drops dead during a musical. Knock on wood.

Apparently after this point, it gets easier. I do not have the 9 to 5 days every day next quarter but I am foreseeing an internship and contribution to the Newshouse.com (a news website that's totally run by the New House school) and, most recently, a paid contribution position at TheCelebrityCafe.com, where I interned last summer. So good things do happen to those who wait.

I will get a penny for every hit that I receive. So my goal next quarter is to get more people interested in my writing.

Which may require me to finally set up that Twitter account. I guess I have to go into the Dark Side at some point, and I will not enjoy it but then again, did Anakin Skywalker?

But for now, I will just take the time to finally relax for a little bit and not worry about looming deadlines. It will be a very short weekend.

My first foray into Final Cut Express. Which brought me to the realization that you can take any mundane thing, like in this case, parking, and turn it into a semi-decent story.

Read about the parking roulette. And here is the video to accompany it:


No comments:

Post a Comment